Wednesday 15 May 2013

Making the right choice, eventually.

Something weird happened to me this weekend. I don't want to dwell on it too much because I am finally ok with it but a complete stranger who was very opinionated and forthcoming made me realise that I am not perfect, or even ethical, or even really that good. Drink and I are not best friends, I always assume we are I even give us a lot of chances to be best friends but apparently when we spend a little too much time together we grow apart quickly and it breaks my heart. I become irate, idiotic, nonsensical and worst of all, emotional.
This weekend I was introduced to the idea that because I eat an abundance of vegetables and fruit rather than meat then I technically kill off a lot of insects species. I also got told that anything I buy which comes in plastic is killing animals... I was given examples... EXHAUSTING.
I think it is difficult for others to actually comprehend that even if I was told that by eating animals I would be healthier and would save the entire planet I would still not ever want to eat meat or dairy again. This borders on making me a bad person. I try and convince people that reducing your meat intake saves the planet and yet I wouldn't do it if the roles were reversed. I just don't want to murder innocent lives.
While this person was telling me my faults and that I shouldn't claim to be the angel I profess to be I was just getting so upset and angry..the strawberry daquiris did their worst. I made the entire table awkward and uncomfortable and departed in floods. I spent the rest of my Saturday evening weeping into my beautiful fiance's arms, he truly is the best thing in the world.
I don't think this person had the right to pull me apart as they did, they do not know me and on two occasions called me ignorant because I was unaware of this agricultural issue. This I find ironic since they actually claim to know about it and still brought a salad to a vegan potluck. After much sober soul-searching I will not push all the fault on them but I do wish I had walked away from the conversation with a little more dignity.
I will be reducing my social alcoholic intake (except when I am with true friends who love me) and sticking to drinking at home where I am safe from debates. Me, debates and alcohol ugh I have been here before !
It also has made me aware of the promise I made to myself that I will be a happier, more positive vegan rather than judging others. We are all ignorant and it just means we all have some learning to do.
On a happier note I have realised just how wonderful and loving my fiance is which is lucky since I plan to marry him in 2 months time EEEEEK. He isn't very forward with his romance or declarations of love but when he sees me hurt he lets it all flow out just to make sure I know that to him, I am everything.
Our wedding day is on July 29th, I will wear white and take some sparkling wine to a beautiful park after we have signed the papers and spend my day in love. Colin will come too :)
I didn't think I would be quite as excited as I am about going to sign a document to legally attach myself to another human for life but it seems I am. There will be no fireworks or guests, no big gown or dancing 'til the early hours, but there will be love and I am fortunate in my choice.

I teach my students that their one rule in the classroom is 'make the right choice' and so here is to making the right choice...even if it did take a lot of wrong ones to get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment