Saturday 1 June 2013

The Pot of Gold

Today I wanted to post a little about the benefits I have noticed after becoming a full vegan a little over a year ago. When I first switched in May 2012 I don't think I was doing as well as I am at this specific point in time because I was still uneducated and Colin and I were struggling a little financially. It seems going to Poland to make money wasn't the best choice we ever made but we got our precious cats from there and so it wasn't all bad ;)

I am sure some people reading this will roll their eyes and believe it to be hogwash but I assure you that I know my body well enough to notice changes, whether subtle or obvious, and these changes have occurred.

1) The white spots under my nails have completely vanished, I never have them anymore and though before I never really thought about them too much it seems now I don't have to.
I have read a few different articles about 'what these white spots are' and it really seems that no one truly knows but I assure you when people say they are signs of calcium deficiency and one must therefore drink more milk that is complete baloney! I am not going to argue black and blue that it isn't a calcium issue but check this article out and note the top foods that contain calcium.
Calcium List
I suggest instead of drinking more milk, just throw some ground flax seeds over your soy milk and breakfast cereal ;)
In my opinion the more obvious reason for these white spots is a sign of poor diet and therefore damaged nails, because I religiously ensure that my body gets everything it needs from a plant-based diet and I rarely eat processed/junk food now it seems my nails are strong, healthy, and thankful.
My perfectly manicured stubby nails.

Colin getting his grubby finger nails into my blog.



































2) My facial hair has become less of an issue. Luckily I wasn't the bearded lady from the circus anyway and my hair is very light but I did have to pluck my eyebrows, the very top of my nose, and my 'moustache' quite often to feel comfortable going out in public. Now I don't seem to pluck quite so much and I don't have a scientific-based reason for this it is just something I have observed. Maybe my skin is healthier and so my need to perfect my face has decreased psychologically, maybe because I don't consume the steroids and antibiotics, that animals are fed and pumped with, through milk or cheese products then it has subsequently settled down my raging male hormones ;)
Whatever the reason my face is much happier that I don't pull at it as much anymore.

3) This is a weird one and quite unbelievable, so I forgive you for shaking your head but like I said I know my body and this has changed. For the longest time I have always religiously exfoliated and moisturised my body. It was drummed into me quite young and I am definitely grateful to my mum for telling me that keeping my skin moisturised is very important. I have, therefore, always had tremendously good, soft skin however one part of my body that I could never quite get perfect is my elbows. They were always rough and never smooth. This annoyed me immensely until now. 
Now, they are smooth and a nice part of my arm :)

4) I have become much less reliant on make-up, maybe if I asked my co-workers or fiancé they wouldn't be as enthusiastic as I am on this point, but I love that I don't wear any most days. The dark circles under my eyes have become less vicious and although (as you can see from my picture) the wear and tear of my very crazy twenties has left marks, scars, and patterns I feel that my skin is in good condition for someone who is ready to turn 30 early next year. In my twenties I really abused my health and skin with late nights, drinking, partying, and unhealthy eating (I really had a blast) but I am grateful for what I know now and how I have used it to my advantage in paying back my skin.

As you can see this was at 9am on a Sunday morning.
Please forgive :)
Not photoshopped, edited, or pretty in any way,
but I am happy with how my skin looks.






































5) Because of my big wedding blessing at home next year I have started to really push my body and work out at home, my muscles have incredible memory from 2 years ago (when I started lifting weights) and so my arms are becoming more well- defined and sculptured. My back, legs and bum have tightened to a very noticeable degree from regular squats and dumb bell lifts and now all I need is to join the gym to get rid of my little pot belly. Luckily it is full of healthy, good food and that is certainly a good base to work with to turn into a strong, musclier stomach.
I am also at the best weight I have ever been 9.95 stone or 63.2 kilos or 139 pounds. Since becoming more healthy I have lost about 18 pounds and I haven't 'dieted' in any dramatic way. 
I simply eat when I am hungry, I just eat the right things. 
I want to continue to see the progress and so I have included some embarrassing 'before' pictures and will include some progress ones at a later date.

Add caption

My little muffin top needs the most work and I hate
ab workouts!

The arms are always the most fun and the easiest of work outs,
that is why a lot of body builders have huge upper bodies and
very little legs.
Squats suck! 













































6)The most amazing thing to end on is my positivity, outlook, energy, and enthusiasm for life.
I am rarely seen without a smile.
When I taught kindergartens in Changwon I couldn't deal with them patiently. I would be so tired that when I taught them I would lose my temper at the smallest things and not give them the love they needed. I was a terrible teacher and person then and I am using my time here to try and make amends.
 I have my moments when I shout but if the matter is trivial then I am quick to pull back and think about what is actually happening, 5-6 year olds are learning a second language. AHA
My mind is less cloudy and I am able to logically make decisions and judgments. 
The misconception about vegans is that we are weak, pale, and tired but believe me when I was a vegetarian I had a lot less energy and patience. 
Now I ensure that I have my 5 fruit and veg a day, my seeds and nuts, my grains, my herbs, and lots of water and I am therefore rarely found wilting.

When I decided to be a more positive vegan this year this is what I meant. 



No comments:

Post a Comment